“Is Life a Gample?” Focus Group Survey Results
IS LIFE A GAMBLE?
Public Opinion Court Focus Group Results
January 20, 2007
1. Generally speaking, do you approve of legal gambling activities such as slot machines, table gaming and other types of casino gambling?
2. Do you APPROVE or DISAPPROVE of the decision to allow slot machine gambling to be legalized in Pennsylvania?
3. How much did the promise of reduced property taxes influence your support of legalized slot machine gambling in Pennsylvania?
|Not Much of an Influence||31%|
|Not an Influence at All||13%|
4. IF you personally received NO reduction in your property taxes as a result of legalized gambling in Pennsylvania, would you still support the legalization of such activities?
|YES, Still Support||63%|
|NO, Would Not Support||6%|
5. Do you expect to see YOUR personal property taxes TOTALLY ELIMINATED, REDUCED CONSIDERABLY, SOMEWHAT REDUCED, NOT REDUCED AT ALL as a result of gambling having been legalized in Pennsylvania?
|Not Reduced at all||50%||44%|
6. In describing your own involvement in legal gambling activities, would you say you gamble FREQUENTLY, SOMETIMES, NOT VERY OFTEN or NEVER?
|Not Very Often||63%|
7. How often have you visited an out-of-state casino in the past year?
|More than 20 Times||0%|
8. Have you ever spent time at a casino or at other gambling activities instead of going to work or participating in family activities?
9. Would you say you elect to spend time at a casino or other gambling venue rather than go to work or participate in family activities FREQUENTLY, OCCASIONALLY or ONLY ONCE?
10. Have you ever lost enough money gambling that you were delayed in paying some bills or meeting other financial obligations?
11. How ften have you lost enough money gambling that you were delayed in paying some bills or meeting other financial obligations?
12. Do you ever rely on winning money from gambling activities to pay your personal bills?
13. Would you say you spend MORE, ABOUT THE SAME AMOUNT, or LESS money gambling than you put aside in a savings account or for retirement purposes?
|About the Same Amount||6%|
14. Do you expect money won while gambling to help finance your retirement?
15. Have you ever lost money gambling that might otherwise have been placed in a savings account for your children or grandchildren?
16. Now that slot machine gambling has been legalized in Pennsylvania, do you expect to see an increase in crime and social problems as a result of more convenient gambling activities?
|Somewhat of an Increase||75%||56%|
|Somewhat of a Decrease||0%||0%|
17. Now that slot machine gambling has been legalized in Pennsylvania, would you say that the potential economic benefits will outweigh the potential increase in crime and social problems, or will the problems outweigh the benefits?
|Benefits will Outweigh Problems||50%||63%|
|Problems will Outweigh Benefits||19%||13%|
18. Do you expect slot machine casinos in Pennsylvania to IMPROVE, have RELATIVELY LITTLE IMPACT, or HARM the communities in which they are located?
19. Do you expect to gamble MORE OFTEN or LESS OFTEN when slot machine gambling casinos open in Pennsylvania?
|Much More Often||0%||0%|
|Somewhat More Often||19%||0%|
|About the Same||63%||88%|
|Somewhat Less Often||6%||0%|
|Much Less Often||0%||6%|
20. Once slot machine gambling becomes available in Pennsylvania do you expect to shift money you currently spend on other recreational activities to cover gambling expenses?
|Not at All||81%||100%|
21. Has the performance of the PA Gaming Control Board affected your view as to whether or not slot machine gambling should be legal in Pennsylvania?
|Much More Supportive||0%||0%|
|Somewhat More Supportive||6%||6%|
|Somewhat Less Supportive||25%||63%|
|Much Less Supportive||6%||13%|
1. Are you a:
2. What is your age group?
|18 – 30||19%|
|30 – 40||19%|
|40 – 50||13%|
|50 – 65||31%|
3. In what category would you place your income for the past year?
|$20,000 – $30,000||25%|
|$30,000 – $50,000||13%|
|$50,000 – $75,000||25%|
|$75,000 – $100,000||19%|
4. Are you a:
|NOT REGISTERED TO VOTE||0%|
5. Do you consider yourself to be a:
6. How would you describe your religious affiliation?
7. What is the highest level of education you have completed?